Sunday, July 15, 2007

Mail Call

Usha, Thanks for the comments and insight. I agree with a lot of what you said. While '197' is my goal, it is just a number. Everyone wants to know what I weigh. They don't care how healthy you are, it's always about the number. Trust me, my goal is being healthy and active. The 197 is a means to an end, it is something tangible I can measure to ultimately get to a healthy body. I'm really NOT obsessed with the number. It's really funny too, because at 197 with my height, I will still be considered overweight using the BMI charts. I'm 5' 11". I think I have to get down to 178 to be considered 'normal' weight. I think I'd look dreadfully sick at 178. BMI doesn't take into account frame size. I have a large frame, wide shoulders. The BMI charts only take into account height and weight. But I'll take being considered overweight at 197. I can live with that.

In answer to some other questions. I am 5' 11". I used to be 6', but a crushed a vertebra in my back 2 years ago and I lost an inch. (Believe it or not!).

About the question about handling anger... Ummm.. I ususally dont' get angry. I get frustrated and stressed, but usually not angry. I'm an air traffic controller, so stress is part of my life. I've been an air traffic controller for over 19 years. I sit at a radar scope 8 hours a day and get stressed for a majority of that time. It's a bad combination (seditary work with a ton of stress, no wonder I have belly fat). I never really used food to cope with stress or anger or frustration. I usually ate junk food because I was bored and I loved to eat!!! I cope with anger by removing myself for the situation that causes anger. When put in a situation that causes anger, I take a line from the Penguins in the movie "Madagascar", "Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave."

Take Care, Eat Well,

Rich
n2styx@comcast.net

12 comments:

  1. Hey Rich I got A Fuze THIS WEEKEND AND IT WAS WAY TOO SWEET AND TRIED THE SLENDERIZED AND IT HAD NOT ALOT OF FLAVOR , I THINK I WILL STICK TO JUST PLAIN WATER WITH LEMON .I DID ALOT OF SWIMMING AND WALKING THIS WEEKEND WITH MY HUSBAND AND DROPPED ANOTHER TWO LBS .YEAH , THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION , I APPRECIATE IT ALOT .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, to each his own I guess about the Slenderize Fuze.

    WAY TO GO!! About the 2 POUNDS!!! That's AWESOME!! Glad I could help.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rich have you ever tried the new green tea in a can I cant remember who makes it , I saw it at the store this weekend . I LIKE TO DRINK HOT GREEN TEA WITH A LITTLE HONEY . Just wondering .

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm in a can?? nope. I LOVE Lipton Diet Green tea that comes in a bottle. I also get the Arizona Diet Green Tea, but I get it in the 1 gallon jugs. I suppose I have seen the Arizona Diet Green tea in a can, but I find it cheaper to by it by the gallon.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rich how often do you weigh yourself and do you do it in the morning or afternoon .And also I have a question about breakfast . I am never hungry in the mornings so I just have coffee and a banana is that ok . I usually have a granola bar about mid morning also .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I weigh myself every Wednesday MORNING.

    I'm usually not hungry for breakfast either and before YOAD, I hardly ever ate breakfast. NOW, I eat breakfast every morning. Usually Cheerios, non-fat milk, sprinkled with cinnamon, flax seeds and blueberries. It seems to rev up my metabolism. I feel soooo much more energetic.

    For morning snacks, I usually eat yogurt with walnuts. I'm not an expert of YOAD approved foods, so I don't know about your granola bar and banana, but if you head on over to the YOAD website and post a comment in the Picks and Sticks forum, I'm sure my good buddy, FLASH, will answer that question. He's an expert on YOAD approved foods!

    Hope this helps.
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the info re my breakfast choice . I am pretty sure I forgot to put my name on that blog . But it was me asking about the banana and Nature Valley Peanut butter granola bar. I drink loads of water every day also and have been walking alot at the park mostly on the weekends . I weigh every two weeks but have weighed everyday the last few days . I shouldnt but I do sometimes , Especailly if I am working out alot I want to see those results . Anyway Talk to ya later .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey...I just found your blog through a Yoad message board post. Congratulations on the weight loss! You look fabulous! I just started my weight loss journey in April and have been blogging about it since June at http://doingfineserioulsy.blogspot.com. I'm not doing any specific plan, but I've been thinking about buying the Yoad book. After reading here, I'm sold! Definitely stopping at the bookstore tonight...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best Book I ever bought!!! Good luck on your journey. Maybe I'll get a cut of Dr. Oz's royalities, eh? LOL..

    I'll head over and take a peak at your blog.

    If you have any questions, just ask, if I don't know, someone will.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a note** Elizabeth's blog address had 2 transposed letters. The web address is :
    http://doingfineseriously.blogspot.com

    Go take a peak and show her some support. We're all in this together!!!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! Thanks for the correction (I'm so embarrassed I can't even spell the name of my own blog..lol)

    & Thanks for the comment too. You absolutely have it right...we are all in this together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 12 & 15. Read the blog above. Very proud.

    ReplyDelete

Mean, hateful, bigoted remarks will not be tolerated and will be deleted.