Friday, August 3, 2007

Treated like Royalty, Treated like a Peasant

I touched on this in one of my comments under one of my posts. We were discussing being 'hit on' since I've lost weight. In all honesty, I don't think so. BUT what I have noticed is that people, complete strangers are A LOT nicer to me. People smile at me more, people are more helpful. Now that I've been in both camps (really fat, and the not so fat camp), I can tell you, YOU GET TREATED LIKE CRAP WHEN YOU'RE FAT. Let me vent again... YOU GET TREATED LIKE CRAP WHEN YOU'RE FAT. People have intentionally gone the other direction when I approached them for help at a store when I was 300lbs. NOW, people seem to go out of their way to help me. People smile at me more, people are more helpful and a lot more friendly. All the attention is unnerving at times, but I think I'm loving it!!

Being fat is something most anyone can change. I've felt the harsh treatment thrust against me when I was 300lbs, it was mean, cruel, unwarranted and totally discriminatory. I am lucky, all I had to do was lose the weight and change, and all that harsh treatment disappeared, gone, poof. I can only imagine what's it's like for others that can't change and face the same horrible treatment. People, like blacks, hispanics, gays, handicapped, etc. don't have that option to change. They can't flip that switch and be treated better. It gives me a whole new perspective. Since they can't change, it's left to society then to change, to look beyond weight, skin color, sexual orientation, religion, physical ability. I've said "we're all in this together" several times in my posts and this was refering to my our common weight loss journey. Seems like it applies to our common journey through life. We're ALL in this together.

Peace out.

Rich

3 comments:

  1. THIS IS SOOOO TRUE RICH . PEOPLE NOW A DAYS ARE SO INTO THE THIN PEOPLE THAT LOOK GOOD .AND ITS JUST NOT FAIR . LETS ALL GIVE EACH OTHER A HAND WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE ON THIS EARTH TOGETHER AND WE SHOULD HELP ONE ANOTHER .I CLAP MY HANDS TO YOU RICH . KEEP UP THE GGOD WORK .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Mean, hateful, bigoted remarks will not be tolerated and will be deleted.